Tuesday, September 13, 2011

KTWV 12 lssue 3: Sudoku Junkee

Ever since the wife of 67er Philip Mathew (aka Thambi), Beena, got me hooked on Sudoku, not by saying anything, but just by spending a few passing minutes in the living room in Mumbai in December 2009, I came back to Finland and found our local newspaper had 3 levels published every day.

With great difficulty, I managed to finish the lowest level after a few days. I struggled with the second level. Occasionally I would finish it before I went to sleep at night. Then there came the day when I completed all three levels and I proudly blogged picture of that.

Over the last 2 years there had not been many days when I completed all three. Having a mild form of ADSL, my 20 to 30 minutes in the morning would see the easy one completed and parts of the the medium and hards levels also done. I would become agitated and bored at the same time.

Annikki would keep the newspaper in a special place. In the late evening, before I went to sleep, I would try to finish them - not very successfully.

Suddenly, about two weeks ago, I hit winning streak as I completed all three levels in the morning. I was happy. After a few days I found I was completing all three levels in the morning but usually taking about 45 minutes.

Voilá - today, I completed all three levels in 25 minutes! This is well within my ADSL time limitation.



As I convince myself of the dementia that I suffer from - and that is not a joke, as I learnt a few weeks ago, when I could not remember where I had put down my glasses, and I am blind as a bat without them, I am pleased to note that my senses, although failing, could be revived by some special actions.

I discovered a site called Lumosity, where it became evident that my dementia was not a problem related to my brain but my failing eyesight and hearing. The site is great as I was able to establish that if I tried hard enough, I would be able to reverse part of this deteriorating situation. (I only did the free stuff which they have to introduce the site to you, but that was enough to pinpoint my problem.)

Unfortunately, I am living in the fast lane, and I have not had the time to work at this faithfully.

So, if like me, you feel that dementia is setting in, all is not lost.

I am physically stronger than most of the young Indian IT engineers that come to Finland and stay in my apartments. Also, I am am quite multi-faceted in that I can do many things, such as change a light bulb :-) - which most of my young friends who are engineers, find it difficult to do!

I am not joking, as most of these very talented guys who come here as outsourced engineers, have a very limited do-it-yourself skills.

I think our colleges, and probably our dear alma mater, should have a screening room to televise MacGyver, the guy who manages to create things out of normal day-to-day stuff to get himself out of a jam! Bit dramatic, as it is a television series, but thought provoking in itself to drive one to think out of the box. This is a description of MascGyver (McGyver in my day) from Wikipedia:
    "MacGyver is an American action-adventure television series created by Lee David Zlotoff. Henry Winkler and John Rich were the executive producers. The show ran for seven seasons on ABC in the United States and various other networks abroad from 1985 to 1992. The series was filmed in Los Angeles during seasons 1, 2 and 7, and in Vancouver, British Columbia, during seasons 3–6. The show's final episode aired on April 25, 1992 on ABC (the network aired a previously unseen episode for the first time on May 21, 1992, but it was originally intended to air before the series finale). The originally aired episodes for the initial seasons (? - ?) used the title 'McGyver' but later changed it to 'MacGyver' to apparently provide him with a first name. All current copies show the later spelling. The show follows the intelligent, optimistic, laid-back, resourceful secret agent Angus MacGyver, played by Richard Dean Anderson. He prefers a non-violent resolution to violence where possible and refuses to handle a gun. MacGyver works as a troubleshooter for the fictional 'Phoenix Foundation' in Los Angeles. Educated as a scientist with a background as a Bomb Team Technician/EOD in Vietnam ("Countdown"), and from a fictional United States government agency, the Department of External Services (DXS), he is a resourceful agent able to solve complex problems with everyday materials he finds at hand, along with his ever-present duct tape and Swiss Army knife."
I can assure you that such skills are absolutely necessary in tomorrow's world. Let us hope we can ensure that future Stephanians are equipped with this ability. (I will touch upon another serious lacking of these brilliant minds in my one of my forthcoming issues of KTWV!) Stay tuned.

No comments: