Friday, June 23, 2006

KTWV 07 Issue 13: Shashi Tharoor for top UN Job?

Recently, when someone asked me what I thought of the possibility of Shashi Tharoor being nominated and elected to the post of UN Secretary General, I sort of pooh-pooed the idea, as I personally think Shashi is far more valuable as a person with his own views as a person hamstrung by the position of the UN Secretary General.

I was, however, heartened to read between the lines in an interview that he gave to TIMES NOW’s editor-in-chief Arnab Goswami on ‘Frankly Speaking’.

Shashi is not only a polished diplomat and a sound one at that, he is also the most careful thinking individual thatI have had the pleasure of having an acquaintance with over the last 7 years.

That he is also a Stephanian, much my junior, also lends some substance to the character we know.

Naturally, I would like to take comfort in the fact that he may occasionally read this blog and that he has commented many years ago that he thought my version of Kooler Talk (Web version) was good writing.

Let us hope that this outstanding individual reaches wherever he aims for as he will accomplish his goals, just as most Stephanians do!

No comments: